Bisaccia (Bisaccese: Vesazza) is an Italian town and comune, population 4,382, situated in the province of Avellino. It borders the communes of Andretta, Aquilonia, Calitri, Guardia Lombardi, Lacedonia, Scampitella, and Vallata. Bisaccia's Castle, made by the Lombards, was repaired by Emperor Frederick II, who went hunting in the woods near Bisaccia. Famous writers as Torquato Tasso and Francesco de Sanctis visited Bisaccia. It was a bishopric from before 1100. In 1540, the Diocese of Bisaccia was suppressed and its territory merged into the Roman Catholic Diocese of Sant’Angelo dei Lombardi–Bisaccia, which became the present Roman Catholic Archdiocese of Sant’Angelo dei Lombardi–Conza–Nusco–Bisaccia.